North Korea on Saturday fired four more short-range ballistic missiles into the western Yellow Sea, the South Korean military said, according to reports.
The missile launch comes as the United States and South Korea have completed six days of military exercises, dubbed “Vigilant Storm”, involving hundreds of military personnel, which Pyongyang said was practice for an invasion at large scale.
SOUTH KOREA BLURERS JETS AS NORTH KOREA LAUNCHES 180 BORDER FLIGHTS
North Korea responded to these previously planned drills by launching dozens of short-range ballistic missiles and is suspected of attempting to deploy an intercontinental ballistic missile in a failed test.
Washington and Seoul have extended their joint military exercises in response to North Korea’s aggressive tactics.
Launches on Saturday began shortly after 11:30 a.m. in North Korea and lasted nearly 30 minutes, Reuters reported.
The short-range ballistic missiles traveled about 80 miles at sea and reached an altitude of 10 miles.
US AND SOUTH KOREA EXTEND AIR FORCE EXERCISES AFTER NORTH KOREA ICBM FIRES
Concerns are growing that Pyongyang may be preparing to resume nuclear testing for the first time since 2017 and leaders of the world’s largest democracies have called on North Korea to ‘abandon’ its nuclear program and ‘any other nuclear programs’. ‘weapons of mass destruction and ballistic missiles’.
The G7 on Friday urged “the DPRK [Democratic People’s Republic of Korea,] to immediately cease its destabilizing activity, to fully comply with all legal obligations under relevant UNSC resolutions [United Nation’s Security Council Resolutions]and respect international nuclear safeguards.
South Korea was forced to scramble 80 military aircraft on Friday after Pyongyang deployed some 180 warplanes near the Common Military Demarcation Line that divided the two nations after the end of the Korean War in 1953.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
North Korea has demanded that the United States and South Korea end “provocative” air drills after Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin announced on Thursday that the drills would be extended to ensure U.S.-South capabilities. Koreans “to fight tonight if necessary”.
A North Korean Foreign Ministry spokesman issued a statement on Friday evening warning that “sustained provocation can only be followed by sustained counter-action”, Reuters reported.
How the India Train Crash Unfolded
UN calls for immediate cease-fire in Sudan and path to renewed democratic transition talks
A Global Plastics Treaty Can End the Age of Plastic — Global Issues